Location: Corsham / Farnborough / London
Posted: 16th June 2021
- In this role you will be responsible for coordinating, planning and overseeing the witnessing of commissioning; ensuring high technical standards are maintained throughout and evidenced with robust documentation and data.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Ark employs third party commissioning agents / consultants to perform the commissioning activities on new facilities, as commissioning manager you will set the scope for and manage the ongoing engagement of these commissioning agents / consultants. Throughout the commissioning process you will be responsible for ensuring that witnessing activities take place and that documentation and data evidencing the successful commissioning is produced to the expected standards. This will include spot witnessing of earlier stages of commissioning and full attendance and sign off of Integrated System Testing activities. As Commissioning Manager you will own and update Ark commissioning standards and your day to day activities will also include:
- Attending Design coordination meetings through design stages Stage 3 & 4 to input on the commissionability of the design and to begin forming the commissioning approach.
- Setup and manage document repositories and QA processes to collect commissioning data and with the support of Ark teams, review the data and documentation to ensure that is to an acceptable standard.
- Own the commissioning process and the commissioning document approval process.
- Review of new or proposed customer contracts to assess any implications on commissioning of related facilities.
- Distributing commissioning plan, scripts, reports to Ark teams for review, comment or approval, collating Ark feedback.
- Sharing the commissioning plan, scripts and reports with the client, leading commissioning presentations with support from suppliers.
- Collating design information ready for commissioning consultant / owners engineer design review.
- Proposing design changes based on commissionability reviews and third party design reviews.
- Arrange Standard Operating Procedure SOP and Emergency Operating Procedure EOP workshops.
- Agreeing and plan the load bank and Power Quality Monitoring locations and specification.
- Define the scope of thermal imaging.
- Witnessing Level 1 Factory Type Testing of any new equipment to Ark.
- Arranging and guiding client witnessing of commissioning.
- With the support of the Technical Operations and Client Teams ensuring that any tests affecting other customers gain the required maintenance notifications.
- Witnessing of all Level 5 IST tests.
- Agreeing the IST completion certificate with the commissioning consultant / owners engineer and major stake holders.
- Performing the first Ark review of any final commissioning reports.
- Ensuring the production of RCAs for any failed IST tests, reviewing and wider distribution of RCAs for sign off.
- Escalating any commissioning issues affecting handover dates or adversely affecting the resilience or availability of equipment at handover.
- Agreeing suppliers Q/A processes for commissioning.
- Reviewing and agreeing electrical test plans with sub-contractors.
- Regular technical review of issues on the Issues Resolution Log.
- Arranging and agreeing operations training plan.
- Arranging commissioning lessons learnt workshops after each IST.
- Performance review and general contract management of commissioning consultants / owners engineers with support from Arks Cost Consultants and Project Managers.
- Agreeing commissioning of any end user fit-out or customisation of electrical distribution completed after IST.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Competency: Effective interpersonal skills; ability to deliver presentations on strategic matters and to create, maintain and enhance productive working relationships.
- Competency: Strong general engineering and technical capability.
- Competency: High aptitude in problem solving and attention to detail.
- Competency: Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Competency: Ability to produce technical documentation to a high standard.
- Competency: Excellent organisation with strong time management skills.
- Competency: High professional standard in approach to work with a thoroughness and ability to ‘get to the bottom’ of un expected equipment behaviour.
- Essential: An accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering, technology or equivalent from combined further education and experience.
- Essential: Previous experience and involvement in the commissioning of Data Centre facilities. An in depth understanding of the next steps at each commissioning stage to ensure project success.
- Essential: Technical analysis and problem solving, with great attention to detail.
- Essential: Proficient in the use of IT tools such as Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, Microsoft Project etc.
- Essential: Ambition to work in or previous experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic and growing team, with a desire to add new processes and structure where of overall benefit.
- Essential: Strong general engineering capability.
- Desirable: Previous design, or project engineer experience in Data Centre or other mission critical sector is preferable (including a working knowledge of generator, UPS, switchgear, cooling and fire detection / suppression systems).
- Desirable: Understanding of and ability to anticipate customer technical needs and requirements.
- Desirable: Previous experience of data centre operations, sales or construction.
- Desirable: Understanding of design to build and build to operate approaches.
- Desirable: Charted engineer status or the foundations and aspirations to proactively build the experience to become chartered.
- Desirable: Experience with Hyperscale data centre facilities and customers.
- Ability to maintain own continual professional development.
- A full UK driving licence and willingness to travel to Arks data centre locations regularly for commissioning activities.
- Willingness to undergo and pass full security checks.
Apply for this position
To be considered for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.