Data Centre Design Manager
Location: Spring Park, Corsham
Posted: 19th June 2020
- To manage and coordinate professional teams of external consultants and engineers designing Ark’s industry leading data centre facilities, to ensure a high standard of design documentation is produced in line with the design program and Arks Design Approval and Design Change Management processes.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Involvement in the appointment of teams of Architects, designers, engineers, consultants and specialists to develop designs and progress planning for new Data Centre Facilities.
- Provide day to day technical oversight of the Design and Approval process for new Data Centre Facilities, existing facility expansions and technology refreshes. Initially confined to the UK but with the expectation to expand into Europe.
- Regularly review of the Ark Design Approval and Design Change Management processes, suggesting changes to the process to ensure their effectiveness and alignment with the real life approach.
- Implement new processes, procedures and check sheets where beneficial to further bolster Arks approach to the design of industry leading data centre facilities.
- Ensure that all design activities follow Ark's Design and Approval processes and that design activities and deliverables are to program.
- Maintain a professional network of designers, engineers and specialists; introducing Ark to new consultants where needed.
- Present new designs and technologies to Arks major stake holders and leadership team.
- Draft strategic intent documents, business cases, basis of design documents, development briefs, concept designs and technical specifications.
- Escalate key design decisions and high design risk items to the Head of Design and Ark Senior Leadership Team.
- Arrange review workshops and presentations of the design documentation produced by external consultants and engineers at each of the RIBA stages. Checking alongside other Ark teams for technical accuracy and compliance with Ark’s technical standards and operations intent.
- Organise lessons learnt workshops with key stakeholders.
- Regularly report on design progress and design risks.
- Provide technical and design support for incoming enquiries to Ark’s Sales Representatives and Client Delivery Executives.
- Input into technical specifications and design standards that capture key design requirements and protect Ark's interests.
- Research new and emerging data centre technologies, undertake product comparison / selection reviews and recommend new approaches / suppliers.
- Provide guidance and mentoring for junior team members
- Assist Ark’s Sales Representatives and Client Delivery Executives by attending / leading Technical Presentations and Design Workshops with Clients.
- Support site technical operations where required acting as a subject matter expert and knowledge resource for Ark.
- Provide technical support to Arks commissioning consultants; witnessing key commissioning activities to ensure that installed infrastructure meets the design intent.
- Proactively seek out and undertake training to develop your capability.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
Effective interpersonal skills; ability to deliver presentations on strategic matters and to create, maintain and enhance productive working relationships.
Strong general engineering and technical capability.
High aptitude in problem solving and attention to detail.
Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Ability to produce technical documentation to a high standard
Excellent organisation with strong time management skills.
An accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering, technology or equivalent from combined further education and experience
Previous experience and involvement in the design life cycle through each of the RIBA stages. An in depth understanding of the next steps at each design stage to ensure project success.
Technical analysis and problem solving, with great attention to detail.
Proficient in the use of IT tools such as Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, Microsoft Project etc.
Ambition to work in or previous experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic and growing team, with a desire to add new processes and structure where of overall benefit.
Strong general engineering capability.
Previous design, commissioning or project engineer experience in Data Centre or other mission critical sector is preferable (including a working knowledge of generator, UPS, switchgear, cooling and fire detection / suppression systems).
Understanding of and ability to anticipate customer technical needs and requirements.
Previous experience of data centre commissioning, operations, sales or construction.
Understanding of of design to build and build to operate approaches.
Charted engineer status or the foundations and aspirations to proactively build the experience to become chartered.
- Ability maintain own continual professional development.
A full UK driving licence
Willingness to undergo and pass full security checks
Apply for this position
To be considered for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.