Technical Sales Manager
Posted: 16th June 2021
- In this role you will perform client, tenant and customer-facing engineering functions in support of customer acquisition, installation scope and custom construction definition.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- You will support the sales team in technical sales solutions and be involved almost from the beginning of any sale. We have a Design and Construction Management team, and you'll need to develop strong working relationships with this group. At any given time you will be contributing to multiple sales efforts at various stages. While it can vary, a typical sales cycle looks like this:
- You will lead efforts to respond to RFPs;
- Answering the bulk of the RFP queries by staying current and well versed with the design of Ark’s Hyperscale Data Centre Facilities and drawing on the expertise and support of the Design and Technical Operations teams to close out any remaining items and to validate overall responses.
- Conduct tour(s) of one or more of our data centres, providing technical information.
- You'll support lease negotiations by (1) interpreting the lease to ensure the terms match with the technical specs and (2) supporting pricing efforts, including estimating move-in, power, materials and other costs.
- Once the lease is signed you will coordinate implementation and deployment, until the customer's network and equipment are up and running smoothly and/or a full handover to the Client Delivery Team is completed.
- More specifically, you will:
- Support sales teams in technical sales and solutions.
- Direct prospect engagements, including leading building and site tours, sales calls and proposal generation, and pricing and contract negotiations.
- Attend key design meetings to keep your engineering knowledge current and to provide Technical Sales input to design decisions.
- Act as the primary input channel for operations from sales teams.
- Evaluate customer needs, and then design and present a preliminary solution.
- Serve as primary responder for all customer RFPs.
- Collate and review design information packs at multiple stages through the sales cycle.
- Review the compliance of Arks technical offers against customer contractual requirements.
- Manage a client change process to capture and track Client requested changes and associated costs and impact to program with the support of Arks Construction Team, Cost and Project Managers.
- Support the commercial team with technical negation of customer contracts.
- Act as the primary technical resource throughout entire on boarding process.
- Support the Design and Construction Teams.
- Review design deliverables at key stages with a sales focus and ‘customer eye’.
- Provide input, support and essential "local knowledge" for construction projects in the surrounding markets.
- Act as a subject matter expert related to the infrastructure, nuances and pitfalls associated with assigned buildings.
- Act as an "eyes-on" resource for remote design and construction teams during bid, construction and commissioning processes.
- Generate sales leads through professional contacts and networking.
- Participate in forecasting, pipeline and market analysis.
- Liaise with the professional community, including attending technical forums and presenting papers at industry events.
- Monitor and evaluate trends in prospect, customer and target tenant base.
- Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- Keys to Success:
- In this role you will live and breathe data centres. It is highly preferred that you have a holistic understanding of all the parts that make up a data centre, including components, technologies and services, of course, but also business considerations, particularly pricing and market value. You don't have to be a master of all, but you will need to be agile. This will require that you track and manage a great many details while also grasping the big picture and how each detail fits together.
- In addition to this knowledge you will need exceptional customer-facing skills, including the ability to articulate that big picture and how Ark pulls all the pieces together to deliver to expectations - they won't see all that's behind the scenes, but they'll appreciate the peace of mind that comes from knowing it's all there. At the same time, if the conversation during a customer tour goes into detail, you'll be able to "get granular" and respond to all but the most technical of questions.
- Implement new processes, procedures and check sheets where beneficial to further bolster Arks approach to technical sales.
- Organise lessons learnt workshops with key stakeholders and contributors after each RFP.
- Research new and emerging data centre technologies, undertake high level product comparison / selection reviews and recommend new approaches that align with the target market requirements.
- Provide guidance and mentoring for junior team members.
- Arrange and lead Design Workshops with Clients with support from the Design Team.
- Proactively seek out and undertake training to develop your capabilities.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Competency: A strong commitment to delivering excellent customer service to clients and co-workers.
- Competency: The ability to learn and apply technical and business concepts quickly.
- Competency: Effectively respond, verbally or in writing, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Competency: Make effective presentations and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Competency: Work well under pressure and take a proactive approach to unusual occurrences.
- Competency: Good organizational skills, attention to detail and openness to new ideas and procedures.
- Essential: 3-5 years of solid experience in a B2B sales environment, developing segmentation and go to market strategies preferably in telecommunications, networking, internet, data security, hosting, high tech facilities or related fields.
- Essential: An accredited Bachelors degree with honours an analytical field like engineering, technology or equivalent from combined further education and experience.
- Essential: Customer-facing skills preferably developed in sales roles, and a demonstrated ability to talk with big data/power users intelligently about data centre solutions.
- Essential: Technical savvy and an understanding of IT infrastructure needs.
- Essential: Proven project management skills.
- Essential: Expert application software skills including MS Word, MS Excel, and Visio; AutoCAD; and Adobe Acrobat.
- Essential: The ability to: Grasp big picture requirements and translate them into detail-level specifications. Comprehend, analyse, and interpret complex project documents. Apply installation standards and project tracking / management documents.
- Desirable: Product management experience in the IT infrastructure industry.
- Desirable: Previous design, commissioning or project engineer experience in Data Centre or other mission critical sector (including a working knowledge of generator, UPS, switchgear, cooling and fire detection / suppression systems).
- Desirable: Consulting experience.
- Desirable: Understanding of and ability to anticipate customer technical needs and requirements.
- Ability to maintain own continual professional development.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Willingness to undergo and pass full security checks.
Apply for this position
To be considered for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.